Writing Task 1
High Band Score
Instructions / Advice
For maximum benefit, I recommend that you do the following before reading my task 1 model answers.
Examine and understand the question
- Study the question carefully
- Make sure you fully understand it before you start your answer
Identify the main trends, differences or stages ie – what you’ll include in the overview
- Decide what the key features are – ie what information and/or figures are you going to mention in your answer
Decide on the organisation
- What will you describe first?
- How many paragraphs will you write?
- What information will you give in each paragraph?
- What information will you group together – if the question has figures?
Write and review
If you want to be your own teacher – that’s why you’re here, right? – be strict with yourself.
- Write your answer in 20 minutes on a proper IELTS writing form - get one here.
- Study your answer and do it again - take as long as you like and check your structures on the internet.
- This time you’re doing your absolute best without time constraints.
- Compare your answer to mine
- Memorise some of my structures - pay attention to the grammar and lexis
- Add some of my sentences to Anki so that you'll remember them for ever - see here
- Rewrite my answer
- Look at it again the next day